What all destinations are in your big travel bucket list? Is it the beaches of Bali, the castles of Norway or the sand dunes of Africa? I have made a list of top 10 destinations to give you real bucket list goals. These destinations are undisputedly the top places to visit across the world due to their unparalleled beauty, distinctiveness and diverse experiences that these places can provide.
Irrespective of the fact that you are travelling solo or with a peer group, these top 10 travel destinations are here to win your heart with their geographical spectacles, a dash of adventure and peculiar facts around their presence.
Yosemite National Park, United States of America
Yosemite national park is considered as one of the top sites to visit in the US due to its sequoia groves, deep valleys, grand meadows, a vast wilderness area, waterfalls, mountains and glaciers, all within 1,200 square miles. Almost 95% of the park’s area is designated under the wilderness category. No wonder why it’s one of the top ten places to visit in the world.
There are popular view spots like the Glacier Point from where you can see Half Dome and Nevada Falls and trails that take you up to the Sentinel Dome from where 360-degree views of many peaks are visible.
What’s even more fascinating about Yosemite National Park is the presence of tallest living things-Redwoods, the largest living things-Giant Sequoias and the oldest living things- Bristlecone Pines, all in one region.
Besides just a day tour, three to four days are enough in the Yosemite park if you plan to do a few hikes and drive to certain locations. You can download the NPS Yosemite App for quick access to information once you are inside the park. A wilderness permit is necessary to be taken if you are planning for overnight hikes or staying in the park.
Best Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Taft Point hike where you can try to be brave while attempting slacklining
- Half Dome and Sentinel Dome hikes
- Drive to the Glacier Point to see some gorgeous panoramic views
- Stop at viewpoint Tunnel View
- Mist Trail hike towards Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls
- Tenaya Lake for clear mirror reflections of the surrounding granite domes
- Tuolumne Meadows
- Gaylor Lake
- Bodie ghost town
- Mono Lake at sunset and sunrise
- Hike to Upper Yosemite Falls
Key Events: February Sunsets Create Firefall at Yosemite’s Horsetail Fall (For two weeks from mid to late February)
Best time to visit Yosemite National Park: May and September are the best months to visit the park when the crowds aren’t too much and the weather is pleasant as well. In July, the waterfalls’ flow is at its peak with spring season in full bloom.
September and October being the fall months, gives an opportunity for incredible views with cloudless-starry skies and warm colours. Thought tire chains will be required for your vehicle if you are planning to drive on higher elevations where snow can be found.
Irrespective of which month of the year it is, at higher elevations in the Yosemite national park, after sunset, weather ranges from cold to freezing.
Places to stay in Yosemite National Park
- In Yosemite, you can rent cabins which vary from low to a higher range.
Redwood Cabins Yosemite, Cabins in Yosemite West, Foresta Rentals, DNC Cabins
- Apart from these, there are a few hotels and BnB options as well.
Yosemite Valley Lodge, The Ahwahnee Hotel, Tenaya Lodge, The Best Western Plus Yosemite Way Station
Meadow Creek Ranch Inn, Blackberry Inn
- And if you are someone who likes to stay close to the nature with camping experiences, there are many camping grounds in the national park.
- To avoid the above-mentioned expensive stays, you can also opt to stay at Yosemite Bug Hostel which is 26 miles from Yosemite Valley near Midpines. The other option is the El Mono Motel.
How to reach Yosemite National Park: Travellers can fly to California in the United States and rent a car from San Francisco (4 hours away) or Sacramento (3 hours away). There are regional bus services that are available as well.
For more info on transportation in Yosemite National Park, check this.
For more info on Yosemite National Park, check this.
Dolomites are the Italian mountain group lying in the eastern section of the northern Italian Alps. South Tyrol is the home to Italian Dolomites, a scenery of sky-piercing nine mountain groups with wide valleys and little villages around. Dolomites are the gateway to both adventure activities and peaceful vacations.
Aren’t these visuals similar to Vincent Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night’? Dolomites are as dramatic as that painting, just in real life, an artsy addition to the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Each mountain and cliff have a different shape and shines in varied shades depending on the time of the day.
Belluno, Trentino, Val Rendena, Val di Sole, Val di Non, Val di Fiemme, Val di Fassa, Three Peaks Holiday Region, Plan de Corones, Alta Badia, Val Gardena / Gröden, Valle Isarco, Alpe di Siusi, Val d’Ega; these are all different regions spread around the Dolomites.
Stay in inexpensive mountain huts and experience the real essence of living and breathing with the Dolomite mountains. This type of stay will be visible to you on your hikes on the mountains. You should spend at least 4 days in the Dolomites region to experience things at a slower and an immersive pace. Stunning hikes take you even closer to the three tall mountains (Tre Cime di Lavaredo).
Best Things to Do in Dolomites
- You can indulge in sports and leisure activities in the Dolomites
- Stop at Val de Funes to see the famous Odle Mountains vista
- Visit the village of Villnöß, or Funes in Italian, for some stunning views of the Dolomites
- Do some local shopping in Ortisei
- Castle of Gardena Santa Cristina
- The Ladin Museum
- Attempt to hike around Marmolada, the region’s highest peak
- Attempt a more skilful hike of via ferratas
- Visit Tre Cime di Lavaredo or “three peaks” of Lavaredo to spot the three mountains standing together
- Visit Alta Badia, one of the best destinations on the Dolomites
- Visit Dolomite’s most Photogenic Lake, Lago di Braies
- Belle Dolomiti Events around Cortina region
- Winter Polo in Cortina d’Ampezzo
- Copa d’Oro Dolomiti
- Dolomites Sky Race in Canazei in Val di Fassa (July)
- Bike Races and Events
- Südtirol Jazz festival on the Würzjoch in South Tyrol (late June to mid-July)
- South Tyrol’s Speck Festival in Funes
Best time to visit the Dolomites: Visit in May and end of June to experience a pleasant weather with lesser crowds. End of June till the end of September is also a good time for hiking purposes. Avoid the month of August since it’s a holiday month in Italy so usually it’s the peak season. For skiing, December to April is a good time.
Best Hotels in Dolomites: There are options ranging from farm stays to luxury spa hotels to mountain huts.
Roter Hahn Farm Stays, Dorfhotel Beludei, Adler Dolomiti, egarter, Apartment Le rose di Marianne, Hotel Garni Winzerhof, Hotel Stella Alpina, Les Dolomites Mountain Lodges, Hotel Fiames, Adler Mountain Lodge, Hotel La Perla
Mountain Huts in Dolomites: These huts or rifugios (Schutzhaus, Hütte) can be found directly on the hiking trails. Dreizinnenhütte is a mountain hut from where impressive views of the north side of Tre Cime di Lavaredo are visible.
How to reach the Dolomites: The alpine town of Belluno is the gateway to the Dolomites. Thus, international travellers fly to Venice from where they travel to Dolomites in a rental car.
In case you don’t want to rent a car, then take an Express Bus from the Venice airport to Cortina D’Ampezzo. From here, local buses ply to major Dolomites destinations like Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cinque Torri, Alta Badia, etc.
For more info on Dolomites, check this.
Zhangye Danxia Geopark, China
Known for its colourful rock formations, Zhangye Danxia Geopark in northwest China will be one of the most unique additions to your travel bucket list if something off the beaten path is what you crave to experience. The colours on the formations are a result of the sandstone and other mineral deposits that happened over a million years ago. And the plane surface got tilted due to the movement of the tectonic plates giving birth to these mountains that look like a marbled cake now.
The geopark is one of those places on Earth where you can feel how various geographical factors come together in play to form these unique landscapes.
Linze Danxia Scenic area is the developed part of the park and hence is the area which is most visited by the tourists. A second scenic area, Binggou, located to the north bank of Liyuan River is also incredibly beautiful and is in contrast to the scenery that Linze Danxia area offers.
Almost like these formations, there exists Candy Cane Mountains in the Azerbaijan area and Seven Coloured Earths in Mauritius as well. Like the rainbow mountains of Peru, these formations in China are also known as the rainbow mountains.
Withing the park, no private vehicles are allowed so you need to use the sightseeing buses. It takes about 3 hours to complete the whole 8-km circuit of hopping from platform to platform via buses.
The park is definitely a top travel place in the world and is also top 10 Geographical Wonders of the World’ selected by the National Geographic.
Best Things to Do in Zhangye Danxia Geopark
· See the views from Colourful Meeting Fairy Platform which is the largest viewing platform and is 10 mins away from the entrance
· Second viewing platform called as the Colourful Sea of Clouds Platform has got a climb of 30 minutes
· Third viewing platform called as the Colourful Embroidered Platform from where you will be to see the famous ‘Seven-Colour Fan’
· Fourth Viewing Platform called as the Colourful Clouds Platform offers the most stunning views of the Seven-Colour Mountain
· Visit the Binggou Danxia area and see the orange pinnacles
Best time to visit Zhangye Danxia Geopark: June to September is the best duration to visit the Zhangye Danxia Geopark because combination of a little sun and rain brings out the mountain colours better. It is best to visit the area during the sunrise or the sunset.
Best Hotels in Zhangye Danxia Geopark: Danxia Business Hotel, Zhangye Huachen International Hotel, Zhangye Liangmao Hotel, Holiday Inn Express Zhangye, Danxia Photography International Hotel, KaoShan Tent
Top Attractions in Zhangye City: Bell & Drum Tower, Giant Buddha Temple (Dafo Temple), Wooden Pagoda Temple (Muta Temple)
How to reach the Zhangye Danxia Geopark: Zhangye is the closest town to Danxia landforms. International travellers can directly fly to Shanghai or Beijing airport. From here you can either fly to Zhangye from Lanzhou airports (1 flight/day) or travel via road or train. The train will take about 5-6 hours. There is an overnight bus as well from Shanghai and Beijing that takes you to Zhangye. The park is only 30 mins drive away from the cityside.
For more info on Zhangye Danxia Geopark, check this.
Japan in Cherry Blossom Season
The Sakura of Japan is probably one of the most delightful naturally occurring phenomenon on earth. And more than just being an eye-pleasing wonder where flowers bloom to welcome the harvest season, cherry blossom also symbolises the Shinto ideals of impermanence, hope and renewal. Their appearance is intricately related to the philosophical ideals of Japan. They are also the reminder of how life is fleeting since the blossom fails to happen at the peak of their beauty.
Yoshino is Japan’s most famous cherry blossom destination.
The whole Japan bathes in a shower of pink and purple during the cherry blossom season. It is a sight to behold and a time to rejoice in the sweet scent that floats in the air. A symbol for Japan, it makes Japan as one of the best places to visit in the world apart from its other wonders. So, welcome the spring (Hanami) in Japan in 2021.
Best Things to Do in Japan during Cherry Blossom
- Visit the 70-year-old sakura tree at the Maruyama-koen Park in Kyoto city
- Take a stroll past The Philosopher’s Walk in Kyoto city. This is a canal which is lined up with Sakura trees.
- Enjoy by the riverside promenade on Osaka city
- The Japanese gardens in Tokyo city
- The castle town of Kanazawa and the three great gardens
- Mt. Yoshino in Nara for an aerial of the spring in Japan
- Miyagawa Ryokuchi park in Takayama city
- Cherry blossom festival in Fukuoka’s Maizuru Park (Fukuoka Castle Sakura Festival) (ate March to early April)
- Expected 2021 dates for cherry blossom in japan
Tokyo – March 14
Nagoya – March 22
Hiroshima – March 22
Kyoto – March 22
Osaka – March 23
Sendai – March 28
For the cherry blossom forecast, you keep an eye on the tracker here
Best time to visit Japan to see cherry blossom: The blossom happens in a scattered manner over a period of a few months as per the location of different regions of Japan. In southern Japan, on the Okinawa island, cherry blossoms open early in January. And in the northern island of Hokkaido, it happens in May. In cities like Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, April is the best time to see the cherry blossom.
Plum blossom, or ume that happens in February and March is another great time to be in Japan.
Best Hotels in Japan
- Kyoto: Shiraume and Aoi Hotel Kyoto
- Yoshino: Chikurinin Gunpoen
- Himeji Castle area: Hotel Wing International Himeji and Hotel Claire Higasa
- Osaka: Conrad Osaka and Intercontinental Hotel Osaka
- Takayama: Hidatei Hanaougi and Honjin Hiranoya Kachoan
- Kanazawa: Yuyado Takitei and Kanazawa Chaya
- Nara: Ando Hotel Nara Wakakusayama and NARA Visitor Centre and Inn
Best Hostels in Japan
- Kyoto: Guest House Hachi and K’s House
- Himeji Castle area: One Hostel & Standing Bar and Himeji 588 Guesthouse
- Yoshino: Ryokan Kato and Miyoshino Sakuraan
- Osaka: Drop Inn Osaka and Sakura La An
- Takayama: Cup of Tea Hostel, SORA-AMA HOSTEL and K’s House
- Kanazawa: Emblem Stay Kanazawa and K’s House
- Nara: Haruya Naramachi and Guesthouse Nara Backpackers
How to reach the Japan: You can fly to Tokyo city and move to other cities via domestic flights or via land with cars or trains. Cherry Blossom season is a peak time in Japan so do book your flights and hotel bookings at least 10 months in advance.
For more info on Japan, check this.
Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
Uyuni Salt Flat in the Andes region of southwest Bolivia is the world’s largest salt flats. Nearly an area of 11,000 sq km has been left behind as a desert after the prehistoric lake Minchin dried up. The whole expanse of dried up area looks like a giant mirror when overflowed water from the nearby lakes gets collected on the ground. Since there’s no physical object on the ground to get reflected, the sky does the job of getting mirrored offering unimaginable views.
The region is a breeding ground to many migrating pink flamingos which can be seen in the month of November. It is one of the flattest places on earth with a size stretch that will leave you gasping. World’s 40% of the lithium reserves lie beneath the Salar de Uyuni.
This is one of the best things to see in South America. The endless horizon of the salt flats lets you click interesting forced perspective pictures.
Best Things to Do in Salar de Uyuni
- Apart from the salt flats, there are many things to see in the Altiplano region. You can embark on a 3-day tour covering the geysers, volcanoes, salt flats, deserts and hot springs of the regions
- You can also visit the colourful Dalí and Siloli deserts
- And definitely stay at world’s first salt hotel and visit the train graveyard
Best time to visit Salar de Uyuni: December to April is the rainy season in Uyuni and this is the time when you can get that enchanting reflection. May to November is the dry season and polygons get formed in the salt flats when the water gets all dried up.
Best Hotels near Salar de Uyuni
- Worlds first salt hotel in Colchani village- Hotel Palacio de Sal and Hotel de Sal Luna Salada
- Uyani: Toñito Hotel and Salar de Uyuni Blink Dome
- Chile: Ckuri Atacama in
- La Paz: Camino Real Suites and Casa Grande Hotel
- Takya: Hotel Tayka de Sal
Best Hostels near Salar de Uyuni
- Uyuni: Hostel La Magia de Uyuni, Hostel Oro Blanco, Piedra Blanca Backpackers Hostel
- La Paz: Loki Backpackers and Wild Rover Backpackers Hostel
How to reach the Salar de Uyuni: Uyuni town is the closest to the salt flats and day trips can be taken from there onwards. It is advisable to take a 7-hour train journey from the city of Oruro till Uyuni.
Also, Uyuni International is the nearest international airport.
Another important advice is to start your tour from the town of Tupiza, 200 kms from Uyuni.
International travellers can fly to Viru Viru International Airport in Santa Cruz Bolivia and plan their Bolivia itinerary and keep Uyuni in the middle or the last. Alternatively, you can fly to La Paz airport if Uyuni is your first destination.
For more info on Salar de Uyuni, check this
Masai Mara, Kenya
Spread over 1500 square kilometres and extending all the way to the Serengeti plain of Tanzania, Masai Mara is a National Reserve park where you can spot animals like lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and Cape buffalo. It is famous for its lion population, African leopards, cheetahs and African bush elephants. Three big cats in the same area! Masai Mara has to be on your travel bucket list for 2021 and beyond. Additionally, you can find popular species like zebra, giraffe, hyena, eland and gazelle as well.
The term ‘Masai Mara’ is derived from Maasai, people who live in that region and Mara means spotted due to the tree clumps and cloud shadows.
So, feel close to the nature and its beasts at Africa’s top wildlife destinations.
Best Things to Do in Masai Mara
- Explore Masai Mara either in a day game drive or night game drive (night game drive only takes place in conservancies)
- Take the Walking safaris in conservancies
- Get breathtaking aerial views of the Masai Mara and Great Wildebeest Migration in a hot air balloon
- Meet the Maasai People, ethnic group of semi-nomadic people and know about their culture.
- You can stay in one of the conservancies (located on private lands owned by Maasai families) to feel in sync with the beasts of the wildlife park
- Camp at the Naboisho Conservancy
- Explore via horseback riding inside the reserve
Best time to visit Masai Mara: July and August are the months when one of the yearly migrations happens, this is considered a good time for animal spotting.
Best Hotels in Masai Mara
- Masai Mara: Mara Plains Camp, Losokwan Luxury Tented Camp and Ashnil Mara Camp
- Nairobi: Giraffe Manor, Emakoko and House of Waine
Best Hostels in Masai Mara: Mara Explorers Camp, Mara Eden Safari Camp and Enchoro Wildlife Camp
How to reach Masai Mara: People from across the globe generally land in Nairobi and then take a small plane to the national park. Via road it takes 5 to 6 hours to drive from Nairobi to Masai Mara.
Peru, as a country, has got a full spectrum of possibilities for travellers. Enchanting hikes in the Andes, cultural cities of Lima and Cusco, discovery of the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest, sandboarding in the dunes and demystifying the sacred valley of the Incas; there is a lot to Peru besides the marvellous Machu Pichu.
And Peru’s Machu Picchu is truly an incredible site to visit in spite of the amount of tourists it receives and for a reason. It is a physical testimony to the Incan civilization that is set midst the misty Andes mountains. The sacred valley of the Incas holds a lot for history buffs and cultural connoisseurs. The famous Inca trail is a 4-day hike starting from 82 km of the Cusco-Aguas Calientes rail line and ending at Machu Picchu.
The cultural centre of Peru, the Lima city has got some substantial sightings to it. There are catacombs, cathedrals, places to enjoy nightlife and museums. Likewise, walking in another city called Cusco is like walking inside a giant museum. Apart from discovering Inca ruins on a 4-day hike to Machu Pichu, you can find Inca ruins in this city as well.
‘Vinicunca’ or ‘The Rainbow Mountains’ are located 100 km southeast of Cusco city. The colourful stripes are a result of weathering and mineralogy in the Andes mountains. Though the site is reached after completing a guided trek of 4 days.
Best Things to Do in Peru
- Visit the Colca Canyon which are twice as deep as the Grand Canyon in the United States.
- Meet the Uros, a group of indigenous people that predates the Incan civilization and can be found on the Floating Islands of Lake Titicaca.
- The Peruvian side of the Amazon Rainforest must not be missed.
- Visit Cusco, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Arequipa, the ‘white city’ in Peru is unique due to its construction from a volcanic rock which also earned it a UNESCO world heritage status in 2000.
- Sandboarding at the Sand Dunes in Huacachina
- Visit Barranco, a quaint hillside district.
- Visit Cordillera Blanca which is the home to Peru’s highest peak, Huascaran.
- Fiesta de la Candelaria- Carnival (February)
- Vendimia Festival (March)
- Inti Raymi (June)
- Virgen del Carmen (July)
Best time to visit Peru: May and October, which are the dry months, is the best time to visit Peru. And October is considered as one of the best months to visit Machu Picchu because the crowds are fewer at this time.
Best Hotels in Peru
Skylodge Adventure Suites, Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, Palacio del Inka, JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Hilton Lima Miraflores, Hotel B, Swissotel Lima, explora Valle, Sagrado, Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel, Tambo del Inka, Inkaterra La Casona, Country Club Lima Hotel, Hotel Paracas
Best Hostels in Peru
· Backpackers Hostel
· Casablanca Hostel
· Banana’s Adventure
· Loki Mancora
· Dragonfly Hostel
· Hostal Corihuasi
How to reach Peru: There are connecting flights from Indian cities to Lima Airport in Peru. There are one stop and two stop options currently. If you want to consider a non-transit visa flight option then there are two flight routes- ‘your city-Ethiopia – Brazil Lima’ and ‘your city- Amsterdam – Lima’.
For more info on Peru, check this.
The royal Indian state is the land of opulent palaces, grand forts, sand dunes, the blue, pink and golden cities. It has got colossal forts like Amer, Mehrangarh, Kumbhalgarh, Chhitorgarh, Junagarh and Jaisalmer Fort with stories dating back to the Mughal Empire that was in the Indian subcontinent.
The Pink city of Jaipur has got marvels like Hawa Mahal, Galtaji, City Palace, Patrika gate and many forts as well. The colourful markets like Johari bazaar in Jaipur, Bada bazaar in Udaipur and Sadar Bazaar in Jaisalmer are your one-stop shop destinations.
Visit Rajasthan not only for its palatial grandeur but also for varied natural experiences that it provides. From national parks to lakes, Rajasthan literally has got it all. Udaipur has got Jiasamand lake which makes you wonder if you are really in a hot desert of an Indian state? Well, that’s why Udaipur is know the ‘Venice of the East’ or the ‘City of Lakes’.
Jodhpur, ‘the Sun city’ or ‘the Blue city’, has got destinations like Mehrangarh fort and Umaid Bhawan Palace. Most houses in this city are painted blue to keep the mosquitoes away.
Jaisalmer, ‘the Golden City’, lies in the heart of the Thar desert. This unique city has got destinations like Jaisalmer fort, Patwon-Ki-Haweli, Gadisar lake and Jain temples.
This is what makes Rajasthan one of the most beautiful places to visit in the world.
Best Things to Do in Rajasthan
- Not only visit forts like the Neemrana and Mehrangarh, but also experience zip lining from one cliff to another
- Visit the wildlife sanctuaries like Ranthambore National Park, Sariska Tiger Reserve, Keoladeo National Park and Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary.
- Visit Chokhi Dhani for an authentic Rajasthani cuisine and a unique stay experience in Jaipur.
- Gorgeous step wells like Chand Baori
- Dune bashing in Jaisalmer
- The coldest place in Rajasthan-Mount Abu
- Some of the forts in Rajasthan hosts guests as well. Hostels like Zostel are located inside the fort area in places like Jaisalmer.
- Gorge on delicious Rajasthani dishes consisting Dal-Baati Churma, Kadhi, Pyaaz ki Kachori, Mirchi Bada, Gatte ki sabzi with sweets like Malpua, Mawa Kachori, Kalakand and Ghevar.
- Get some hands-on experience with Rajasthani cooking at Dera Mandawa, a heritage hotel in Jaipur.
- Visit the tribes of Rajasthan- Bishnoi community and Kalbelia tribe
- Pushkar Camel Fair (November)
- Pushkar Holi (March)
- Makar Sankranti (14th January) in Jodhpur
- Elephant fair (March) in Jaipur
- Magnetic Fields Festival (December) in Alsisar
- Desert festival (January/February) in Jaisalmer
- Rajasthan International Folk Festival (October) in Jodhpur
Best time to visit Rajasthan: November to February, which is winters in India, is a great time to escape the desert heat of Rajasthan and enjoy a pleasant weather. But this is also the peak touristy season here. But if you wish to avoid the crowds and enjoy the monsoons then July to September is a good time.
Best Hotels in Rajasthan
- Jaipur: Rambagh Palace, Taj Mahal Palace, Samode Haveli, Tree of Life Resort and Spa, Sujan Rajmahal Palace, The Oberoi Rajvilas, ITC Rajputana, Shahpura House, 28 Kothi, Khatu Haveli, Hotel Narain Niwas Palace, Alsisar Haveli
- Udaipur: Taj Lake Palace, The Oberoi Udaivilas, Bujera Fort, Jagat Niwas Palace
- Bikaner: Narendra Bhawan
- Jodhpur: Taj Umaid Bhawan Palace, RAAS, Vivanta by Taj
- Bundi: Bundi Vilas
- Jaisalmer: The Serai, Suryagarh, Garh Jaisal Haveli Hotel
- Pushkar: The Country Side Resort, The Westin Pushkar Resort & Spa, Pratap Mahal
Best Hostels in Rajasthan
- Jaipur: The Hosteller, Zostel, goSTOPS, Moustache Hostel, Horn Ok Please Hostel
- Jaisalmer: Zostel, Hostelavie, Moustache Hostel
- Udaipur: Zostel, goSTOPS, Moustache Hostel, Hide-In
- Jodhpur: Zostel, Hostelavie
- Pushkar: The Hosteller, Zostel, Moustache Hostel, Hostelavie, Madpackers
- Bikaner: The Crown Hostel
How to reach Rajasthan: For Indian citizens living in Delhi, there are many connecting Volvos as well as government buses that ply till cities like Jaipur, Udaipur, Jaisalmer and Jodhpur. And other Indian states have direct flights till Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Bikaner and Kota.
For international tourists, Jaipur is the main international airport to enter the state of Rajasthan.
For more info on Rajasthan, check this
A colourful city, Galway is the home to Europe’s Irish culture and lively pubs. The streets, cafes and pubs are packed with people partying all through the night. The city looks like a medieval art canvas wrapped up in natural wonders of beautiful sites like archipelago overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the castles, historic lanes and grand churches.
Galway is also known as the ‘City of Tribes’ because it was controlled by 14 families from 13th to 19th century. This colourful jewel in the west Ireland is wild and bohemian. You can indulge in surfing, kayaking, mountain biking to satiate the adventure junkie in you.
Streets become lively to the tunes of live Irish music. Latin Quarter is the best place to find such lively streets laden with many pubs, and restaurants.
Best Things to Do in Galway
- Eyre Square is a modern plaza space which is full of locals, tourists, modern art exhibits etc.
- Stroll down the Quay Street for colourful-trendy shops and bar terraces.
- Get panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean from Salthill Promenade.
- Visit the Galway Cathedral to see what a mix up of different types of architecture it is.
- Kirwan’s Lane is full of stone houses dating back to 16th century.
- Visit the Lynch’s Castle which is owned by one of the 14 tribe families who ruled Galway in the past.
- Head to Connemara National Park to embark on some of the best hikes in Galway.
- Aran Islands for experiencing the best diving location in Europe
- Dunguaire Castle, the most photographed castle in Ireland
Best time to visit Galway: July to October are the perfect months weather-wise to visit Galway. During this duration, lots of key events take place as well. June, September and October see reduced number of tourists.
- Macnas Halloween Parade (October)
- Galway International Arts Festival (July)
- Galway Film Fleadh (July)
- Galway International Oyster Festival (September)
- Galway Races (July-August)
Best Hotels to stay in Galway: The Twelve Hotel, Galway Bay Hotel, Park House Hotel, Galmont Hotel and Spa, The G Hotel and Spa, Hotel Meyrick, Maldron Sandy Road
Best Hostels to stay in Galway for backpackers and solo-traveller
· Celtic Tourist Hostel
· Clover Fox
· Snoozles Hostel Quay Street
· Connemara National Park Hostel
· Galway City Hostel
· Kinlay House Hostel
· Savoy hostel
How to reach Galway: Currently there is no direct flight to Galway from India, so first you will have to take a connecting flight till Dublin and then travel either by bus, train or car till Galway.
Also, Ireland West Airport in Charlestown, Co. Mayo is approximately 1-hour drive from Galway City.
For more info on Galway, check this
The cultural city in Austria is said to be the melting pot for all the arts and crafts across Northern and Southern Europe. It is the centre for music, baroque architecture and vibrant gardens. It is very much indeed the ‘Rome of the North” because many Italian architects built buildings here.
Leisurely walks in the downtown district is a visual treat for people who enjoy the beauty of European architecture and like to get lost on the dainty streets.
The world-renowned Salzburg Festival is a treat for art lovers and a feast of opera, classical music and drama. The baroque ancient city has for Europe’s finest concert halls and medieval fortresses. This is the city where Mozart was born and hence you will see a lot of music-related infrastructure here.
Salzburg with the palatial churches, mountains around it, splendid gardens with trick fountains and people walking around in folk costumes, the city is one of the top places to visit in the world.
Best Things to Do in Salzburg
- Visit Mozarts Geburtshaus (Mozart’s Birthplace) and Mozarts Wohnhaus (Mozart’s Residence). Both are located in the old town.
- Visit the lavishly decorated Hohensalzburg Fortress where the interiors are in gothic style. It is a fully preserved castle.
- Salzburg Cathedral
- Get more Baroque vibes in Altstadt that is the Old Town.
- Mirabell Gardens which are located besides the Salzach River are a must visit in Salzburg.
- At Hellbrunn Palace you can get a look at the lives of Salzburg’s archbishops and all the powerful people who built the palaces.
Best time to visit Salzburg: September to October is the best time to visit Salzburg because during this time you will not find the summer crowds and can enjoy the beauty of Salzburg in comfortable temperatures of the Autumn season.
- Mozart Week (January)
- Salzburg Easter Festival (April)
- Salzburg Biennale (every other spring)
- Whitson Festival (May)
- Sommerszene (June-July)
- Salzburg Festival (July-August)
Best Hotels to stay in Salzburg: Hotel Schloss Monchstein, Hotel Salzburgerhof, Hotel Goldener Hirsch, Hotel Sacher Salzburg, Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, Sheraton Salzburg, Hotel Seewinkel, Hotel & Villa Auersperg
Best Hostels to stay in Salzburg for backpackers and solo-traveller
- Meininger Hostel Salzburg City Center
- Yoho International Youth Hostel
How to reach Salzburg: There is one direct flight from New Delhi to Salzburg which is an expensive option. One can avail less pricey flight with one or two stops to Salzburg. If you are looking to travel to other cities like Munich, Innsbruck, Ljubljana, Vienna, Prague, Zagreb, Venice, Zurich, Milan or Dresdan, you can travel by road to Salzburg which is 250-450 km away from these cities.
Kiwi.com is a good flight booking site to avail cheaper flight across Europe
For more info on Salzburg, check this
So, have these top travel destinations made it to your 2021 bucket list yet? If not, consider revising your old bucket list to make space for these unconventional travel choices. Coincide your travel dates with a key event from that particular region to actually embrace the real vibe of the place and enjoy the culture in its true sense with the locals.